0203 282 3733
telephone us
email us

Limehouse London E14

 

  • The earliest reference to the area is thought to have been in 1356 when it was known as Les Lymhostes. In the early 1400s, the area was also recorded with the name of Lymhosteys.
  • The Limehouse name relates to the local lime kilns or, more precisely, lime oasts, by the river and operated by the large potteries that served shipping in the London Docks.
  • The Limehouse area is defined by its borders with Limehouse Basin in the west, to Pennyfields in the east; and from the Thames in the south to the Victory Bridge at the junction of Ben Jonson Road and Rhodeswell Road in the north.
  • Limehouse Basin opened in 1820 as the Regent's Canal Dock, and was amongst the first of London’s Docks to close in the late 1960’s.
  • The redevelopment of the Basin started in 1983 as part of the London Docklands Development Corporation's overall masterplan for the Docklands area.
  • Limehouse Cut is said to be the oldest canal in London and connects the Thames with the River Lee at Bow Creek. Regent’s Canal also flows into Limehouse Basin and at its westerly end goes all the way to Paddington (if you fancy a short stroll or paddle…)
  • The first area known as Chinatown in London was actually located in the Limehouse area, the present Chinatown, off Shaftesbury Avenue in Soho, did not start to be established until the 1970s.
  • Sir Ian McKellen is part owner of The Grapes pub on Narrow Street and is also a Limehouse resident. The Grapes – originally The Bunch of Grapes – has stood there for nearly 500 years, and more latterly was a regular haunt of Charles Dickens.
  • Number 80 Narrow Street was both a home and studio to painter Francis Bacon.
  • Sherlock Holmes went in search of opium on Narrow Street.

Have you seen our latest Properties for Sale in Limehouse ? 

The Property Ombudsman TSI Trading Standards Client Money Protection Rightmove Zoopla Primelocation Move Bubble