Award-winning and fiercely independent, Proper Local is a leading Estate Agents in Canary Wharf. We specialise exclusively in the E14 area and pride ourselves on our modern approach and exceptional customer service.
Proper Local is one of the only Estate Agencies in Canary Wharf offering fixed property selling fees. And while this is a draw for many, we like to think it’s our straightforward approach and exceptional market and area knowledge that really sets us apart.
When you choose Proper Local as your estate agent, you’re promised one point of contact throughout the process, from initial valuation or viewing, through to exchange of contracts, and everything in between.
What sets us apart is that we only deal with areas which we truly know. Whether your property is in Canary Wharf, Limehouse, Isle of Dogs or another E14 area, we can provide the right level of service and expertise for you.
What's more, we also offer free property valuations to anyone interested in selling a property in these areas. We are experts in the Canary Wharf property market and understand what your property is really worth, including how to maximise its value. As a thoroughly modern business, we embrace new technologies to reduce costs – passing the savings onto you.
Click on the icons below to find out more.
Why choose an independent estate agent?
The process of selling a property is said to be one life’s most stressful events. That’s why it pays to go with an independent estate agent that really knows the local area.
Unlike other estate agencies in Canary Wharf, we are fiercely independent and operate exclusively in the E14 postcode. This includes properties in Limehouse, Isle of Dogs, Canary Wharf, Blackwall and Poplar. Our commitment means we can offer you a personal service that corporate agencies can’t mach.
Read through our four reasons why an independent estate agent, we’re the best choice for sellers.
1) Local. At Proper Local, we deal only with properties in the areas which we truly know – Canary Wharf and the surrounding E14 district. Having lived in the area over twenty years, Christian understands each neighbourhood’s quirks and charms, from the period properties of Limehouse to the gleaming towers of Canary Wharf. This isn’t always the case with larger estate agencies who move staff around regularly.
2) Experience. With over fifteen years estate agency experience, you’re in safe hands with Proper Local. Having bought and sold property personally on several occasions, we understand the position of the seller. This familiarity means there’s hardly any issue or challenge we haven’t had to face and overcome for our clients.
3) Personal. As an independent agent, we offer you a truly personal service. Selling property isn’t just a job to us – it’s what we love to do. Far from being a number on a spreadsheet (as is the case with some corporate agencies), each sale we take on matters. When you choose Proper Local, you are promised one point of contact throughout the process. From valuation, through to marketing, viewings and negotiating offers – we’ll be with you every step of the way.
4) Communication. A Proper Local, we believe honesty is the best policy. We will always give you an honest opinion, even when it is difficult to hear. We’ll never overvalue a property as we know in the long run it can damage the chances of a successful outcome. Through regular, honest feedback from viewings, we can work together on your property’s faults and assets to ensure a sale at the best possible price. All clients are given a personal mobile number and there’s no such thing as office hours. We’re here when you need us.
Our Awards & Accreditations
Though awards and accreditations might not be your priority when selecting an estate agent, these things matter.
At Proper Local, we are proud to have been awarded a Gold Trusted Service Award from Feefo for both 2019 & 2020 (and it looks like 2021 too). Like TripAdvisor, Feefo is an independent reviews website that collects genuine feedback from customers about their experiences. The consistent, high number of quality reviews we have received on the platform means we currently hold a rating of 5.0 out of 5.0. This makes us one of the top Canary Wharf Estate Agencies. Though we have no influence over these reviews, we feel it’s a great way of showing people we care about what we do.
We have also been recognised as one of the top 500 estate agents in the country by the Best Estate Agent Guide 2019 & 2021.
Like awards, accreditations are a great way for us to show you that we take our role seriously. At Proper Local, we want to be an agent you can trust. That’s why we’re are one of the few estate agencies in Canary Wharf to have signed up voluntarily for the Client Money Protect (CMP) scheme.
If you chose an agency who isn’t a CMP member, you could potentially lose your monies should the agency holding them go bankrupt or AWOL.
We’re also signed up to The Property Ombudsman (TPO). This means we are committed to the high professional standards its Code of Practice outlines.
Another body we have signed up to is the Trading Standards Institute Code of Conduct. This similarly outlines high quality standards among
Our Marketing Service
In today’s highly visual world, property marketing is key to a good property sale.
We understand that, which is why we put extra effort into marketing your property to its best potential.
The internet means most potential buyers initially view a property online, whether on Rightmove, Zoopla or Prime Location. Buyers now search for a property, not a specific agent.
This levels the field between corporate and independent agencies meaning larger estate agencies in are in no better position to market your property than independent agents like ourselves. In fact, we might argue we have a slight advantage.
There’s no denying it, a picture speaks a thousand words. That’s your property’s online presence is of the utmost importance to us.
Our experience means we know what sells and what looks good. We’ll help you stage your property for marketing photos and if that means moving furniture around, no problem.
We’ll ensure your property’s online visuals look excellent, helping attract the right kind of buyer.
Though visuals are important, words can never be underestimated in securing that crucial viewing. Buyer’s don’t want to have to wade through lots of estate agent spiel just to get to the information they need.
Buyers just want to know the facts and what they can’t see in the photos. We understand that which is why our listings are straight forward and accurate.
Our Marketing Process
Here’s the seven marketing steps we take for every property we sell or let:
- Professional-quality photos (our experience shows between 8 and 10 is optimum)
- A detailed floor plan
- A bespoke, carefully worded property description
- Marketing on Rightmove, Zoopla & Prime Location
- A ‘featured’ property box on Rightmove on a rotational basis (a larger, more attention-grabbing advert, at the top of the search page, with 3 photos rather than 2)
- Marketed on our own website - a Canary Wharf specific site
- Access to our database of ready-registered buyers
We have a track record of selling properties which other estate agents in Canary Wharf haven’t managed to. We believe a lot of this success is down to the quality of our marketing services.
Proper Local Promises
- To treat you as an individual, not as just another customer.
- To give you one point of contact throughout the whole process.
- To only deal with properties and areas which we know and understand.
- To return any missed calls promptly. (If it’s more than an hour, there will be a very good reason.)
- To answer emails, texts or WhatsApp messages promptly.
- Never to be late to an appointment. (And in the unlikely event we are, we will let you know beforehand.)
- To try and make your buying, selling or renting experience as pain free as possible (we really do appreciate that moving, selling or renting can be stressful).
- To work hard, be totally upfront and do all we can to make your experience with us a fantastic one
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will it cost to sell my property?
The costs involved in selling your property consist of:
Energy Performance Certificate - It is a legal requirement to have commissioned an EPC before marketing can start. Proper Local can organise an EPC on your behalf at a cost of £75 including VAT Our commission - Commission fees become due when contracts are exchanged and are payable on completion.
Legal fees for the conveyancing process - These vary depending on the solicitor you choose and the complexity or simplicity of the transaction. Please ask us to put you in touch with one of our recommended solicitors and they will be able to provide you with a quote.
Are there any additional marketing costs?
Absolutely none. Although Proper Local’s fees are very reasonable, we believe that marketing costs should be borne by us and not by you. Some online agents will charge you an upfront marketing fee, regardless of whether they then go on to sell the property for you. We believe estate agency should be no sale, no fee.
Should I redecorate before I put my property on the market?
It’s a very commonly asked question, but there isn’t a simple answer. We would be delighted to visit you at your property and talk you through a bespoke marketing plan for your property.
What are Title Deeds?
Title Deeds are your proof of ownership of your property. They will be held by your bank or building society if you have a mortgage and your solicitor will obtain the deeds and let the buyer's solicitor have a copy.
Who will conduct the viewings on my property?
Proper Local will. However, we won’t just go and let ourselves in. All viewings will be arranged and agreed in advance.
Do I need to be present for viewings?
Quite simply, no. And we’ll go one step further. Potential buyers would prefer it if you weren’t there either… sorry!
If I accept an offer will my property still be viewed?
We try and make the process of buying a property really simple, so what we insist on is complete transparency.
So, the simple is answer is ‘no’ we wouldn’t suggest your property can still be viewed once under offer. However, in some circumstances we would still conduct viewings, if for example the person who offered was not in an immediate position to proceed with the purchase.
Do I have to pay Stamp Duty?
No, the buyer is responsible for paying Stamp Duty.
How can I protect myself from property fraud?
Both we and the purchaser’s solicitor, are mutually obligated to perform Money Laundering checks on the buyer.
Do I have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the property?
If you are selling a property that is your main home, you won't have to pay tax on it as long as you satisfy certain conditions. However, if you are selling a property that is not your main home, it is likely you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.