At Proper Local, we firmly believe that there is a different way of doing things.
In our experience the things which upset tenants more than anything else are:
- Ridiculous administration and referencing fees
- Unreturned calls or emails
- Letting agents being late
- Letting agents just not turning up at all!
- Your agent knowing very little about the property
- Your agent knowing very little about the surrounding area
- A letting agent who ‘sells’ the property to you (in our experience there’s never been a single instance of an letting agent convincing someone to rent a property they don’t like…)
- We pride ourselves on our straightforward, no nonsense approach…. and we think that is what great service really is.
No waffle at Proper Local!
Here’s a short guide to the lettings process.
Step 1 - Register your interest
We’re quite unusual in that we don’t have a shopfront like most agents, but that doesn’t mean we’re an online agent either. We’re very much in the middle of E14 at 40 Bank Street, just next door to Canary Wharf station. If you’d like to pop in and see us, just call and make an appointment and we’ll put the kettle on.
Step 2 - Finding the right property
Once we have a clear understanding of your requirements you will receive a selection of properties that match your criteria. We will also keep you up-to-date via email… and we do like to speak with people too, so you might even find us calling you!
Just remember one thing: Be honest with us!
We know that not every property will be the perfect property, so tell us what you do and don’t like about properties we show you.
What we also know is that tenants’ requirements change. What was important to you at the start of your search may not be as important once you’ve seen a few properties, so keep us in the loop and we’ll promise to do the same.
Step 3 - Viewings
As we only deal with property to rent in E14 most of our properties are only a few minutes away from each other.
We can meet at you at the property, or you can meet us at the office and we’ll go together.
What we will try and do is show you a few properties that fall within your criteria, because what we do know is that its very unusual for tenants to take the property that they first enquired about.
We're open at times to suit you, convenient for viewing after work and at weekends.
Although the office is only open 9am-6pm Monday to Friday viewings outside of these times, and at weekends, are always available by prior appointment.
Step 4 - Making an offer
Once you have identified a suitable property you will be required to complete an application for tenancy where you may state any special conditions of the offer and provide details for your references. We will then communicate this offer to the landlord.
Step 5 - Offer agreed
If your offer is accepted, we will organise the following on behalf of the landlord.
- Collect references from the referees that you have provided
- Right to Rent and ID checks
- Arrange signing of the Tenancy Agreement
- Collect your moving in payment (rent + deposit)
- Arrange the check in for the inventory (if the landlord has requested one)
Step 6 - Move in
Congratulations, you can now move into your new home! (But sorry, you may have some packing and unpacking to do…)
Fees for Tenants
A Reservation Fee will be used to hold the property and is calculated as two times the weekly rent. The Reservation fee will be deducted from the Move in Costs.
Referencing Fees are charged at £50 per applicant (or company) and covers referencing, Right to Rent and Identity checks. Guarantors, if required, will be charged at £30 per guarantor.
A Check-In Fee is chargeable per property (not per applicant) if the Landlord opts to use the services of a professional Inventory company.